Monday, January 29, 2007

Big weekend


Well well well….

It’s been a monster of a weekend. From a splendid evening at the theatre to far too much wine, I seem to have packed a lot in - and some.

Phew! I’m not entirely sure where to start with this blog entry. Part of my weekend activities weren’t enjoyable in the least and caused considerable stress. More of that later,

Saturday we went to see Little Shop of Horrors at a small dinner theatre venue. It was FANTASTIC! The production is moving to the West End in March but is sold out until then. If anyone has the chance to catch it then I strongly suggest you do. As there was dinner involved, that meant there was wine accompanying it (naturally!). We were able to drink whilst watching the show and then went for a drink afterwards. Sounds splendid doesn’t it? And it was. So splendid, we decided to continue and all trooped off to a gay club. More booze. I foolishly couldn’t decide what to drink and so panic ordered beer. Nice combo so far - wine then beer. I then realised that I really didn’t want beer so swapped to vodka. Anyone getting the picture yet?

During our now drunken escapades we met a man with some kind of glitter in a jar. We were covered in it and at some point I even got my chest daubed in it – haven’t got a clue how that happened as I don’t recall removing my shirt at any point.

Sunday morning dawned and a corker of a hangover bloomed. After a couple of nurofens, I felt able to take on the world and descended to breakfast, still sparkling like crazy.

Now comes the hard bit…. My parents and I usually chat on a Sunday. This Sunday was different. The conversation went as per usual until completely derailed by my telling them I’m gay. Bless them. My mum said “sorry love, I didn’t hear that last bit”. So had to say it again!
Stunned silence and telephonic static.
Dad’s shocked response was “I’m not happy about that”, Mum’s was “are you happy?”
It was one of the most difficult conversations I’ve ever had. I’m a confident person and comfortable with my sexuality but this experience shook me a lot I’ll admit. It’ll take a while for my parents to adjust and I hope they’ll feel better about it as time goes on. They’re still speaking to me, so that’s a good start. I think I’ve been luckier than a lot of people so I’m grateful and thankful for that.
The hilarious irony of this whole situation was I was sat there talking to my parents on the phone about being gay, attempting to portray an image of settled, grown-up, responsible gay life. However, my appearance suggested the total opposite, as I sat covered in last night’s glitter, reeking of booze and looking like roadkill in pyjamas.

Next step is for the other half to “Meet the Parents”. That’s gonna be a real bust!

6 comments:

Tom said...

Congratulations on coming out to the parents! See, not so bad was it? It will get better as they have a chance to adjust to your life and I'm sure they will love your other half. I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend and I hope your hangover wasn't to bad.

Scott in Iowa said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you. What made you finally decide to do it? I'm sure your parents will come around. It doesn't sound like they took it too badly. you might want to wait at least a little while for them to get settled with it before you introduce your partner. Remember, you have had years to deal with being gay. They have only had a day so far. Go easy on them. They will come around.

Bella Della said...

OOH big step Mr B, but I am sure in some ways you are relieved that you do not have to continue to hide this aspect of your life from your parents. Sounds like you are getting some wise advice from your blog buddies here.
Talk soon
Mrs K

Smokingloon said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you have been thinking about this conversation for a long time. You must be feeling a giant sense of relief now it's started. I'm happy for both you and your partner.

Unknown said...

Just so you know, you're going to have glitter for the next ten years all over the place.

I took a guy home years ago that had glitter all over his body, and I found glitter three years later.

Congrats on coming out.

Monty said...

Congratulations...I only went through that in November last year - perhaps not as successfully as you, but still, I am glad I did it. It is a very hard thing to do so GOOD ON YOU! :-)