Monday, January 08, 2007

January Blues…


If I were more musical – actually, that implies that I’m slightly musical, sadly I’m not even minimally gifted – I’d put together some mournful, jazzy number filled with lonely sax solos to fully express how gloomy I’m finding it all at the moment. Normally at this time of year I’d have lots of stuff planned and holidays booked that I can look forward to. This year there has been some enormous cosmic (or maybe, possibly mine...) oversight and I find myself starting a new year literally empty of everything apart from work!! How bleak.

Any suggestions or ideas would come in very handy. The other half and I are thinking a week in Provence might be nice. France is on our doorstep, so we often overlook it for holiday purposes but we’ve decided to investigate further. A bit of sunshine and a chance to brush up on my dreadful French would be quite fun. Add to that cheap wine and basketfuls of baguettes et fromage and you’ve got yourself a cheeky holiday surprise! Well, that’s the plan anyway.

I’d like something long haul at some point this year too. Not sure what that’s going to be but following the wine theme above, the other half has expressed an interest in the Napa Valley. It’s been ages since I’ve visited California and a trip to San Francisco is now well overdue. The other half has never been to San Francisco so it’d be great to pay the city a visit. A walk across the Golden Gate bridge to blow the cobwebs away and a walk into the Castro to blow... scratch that thought.

Whilst chatting on about wine… I bought the other half a lease of some vines at a Kent vineyard for 3 years as a Christmas present. The reception to this gift was much better than I expected so I’m really pleased. I wasn’t sure if it would make a good gift or not. Apparently it does. I’ve been reliably informed – any of you reading this who are better in the know, please feel free to drop a line and correct – that the Kent vineyards have similar soil to that of the Champagne region and thanks to global warming, the wine there is improving by the year. I may have to encourage the other half to build on the wine lease idea, go crazy, buy land and start planting like mad! Wow! That’d be just like Falcon Crest…. It’d have to be called something different tho as the UK wouldn’t be able to support anything with such a name. We’d have to call it Pigeon Hill or Crow End.
Ooh! The glamour...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darth,

thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on our standard poodle today! You are welcome anytime! Glad you stopped by and I hope you keep in touch!