Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Date with Arabian Coffee...

...is the first thing I was offered on taking my seat when I boarded my flight to Abu Dhabi. Did I mention I was going on a little holiday? Hmmm... maybe not. Regular readers would only have given me hard time anyway as, apparently, I'm always on vacation.

TOH and I are here to visit my super good friend Jane. We've known each other for years and she's living here so I thought it was time for a stop-over. I'm currently sitting in the living room of her flat, looking out over Lulu Island and on to the Arabian Sea, the sun is setting and we're preparing to go out for the evening to the Emirates Palace Hotel, which is ludicrously massive but supposedly amazing. I'm also using Jane's MacBook, which I'm finding a bit baffling but generally ok, although I can't see what the huge fuss is all about - it's like any other computer really. I feel I may come in for a huge deluge of criticism for my last comment but computers aren't at the top of my list for cool gadgetry. I love lots of techie stuff but lap-tops etc just don't push my buttons. Sorry Mac lovers - let me know how I can make it up to you all and I'll do my best.

Anyway, back to my flight. It was fine. TOH and I treated ourselves and used miles to fly in First Class. I'm lucky to have flown in Business Class lots of times as I work for an airline but it doesn't have a First Class Service, so this is a fun experience. Mind you, I think I'd still travel in the Business Class of my airline, as I think it's better than BA First and better value for money. Ok. Yesterday's flight (sorry). Sitting across the aisle from me was an attractive Arab guy, trendy clothes, kinda cool manner. The cabin crew from other cabins kept cruising through and then back beyond the curtain to get a good look at this guy. He was fairly hot but I have seen better. My conclusion was that he's some kind of Arab nobility, although they normally travel with a retinue of thousands and have flunkies to perform at a mere hand-clap. Maybe he was travelling incognito. I was fascinated by him for large parts of the flight - even when he was asleep, especially when his shirt rode up and displayed his particularly well toned and hairy stomach...

It's bloody hot here. 38 degrees today. I felt as if the sun were beating me into the pavement. It made me a little bad-tempered - poor TOH, he dealt with it (and me) in his usual calm and accepting way.

Thanks to those of you who took part in helping me with ideas for future posts. I'll use them all, I promise. Anyone reading that wants to offer an idea, please feel free.

Right. I need to nip off now, as I have considerable amounts of body husbandry to do before I'll be halfway acceptable at a swanky establishment. My turn for the shower.

4 comments:

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Globe trotting again are you! Could you please then bottle up some of that heat and send it to Canada, I am so sick of snow and cold that I can't take another day!

Oh and besides my whining, have a good time!

Monty said...

Oh you and your holidays!!! ;-) You mentioned that this is a stop-over? Where is the ultimate destination then?

"well toned and hairy stomach"...I went off in a lovely little day-dream when I read those words. mmmmmmmmm....

;-)

Tales of the City said...

Did you give it a little pat? The stomach that is...

Trevor Messersmith said...

are there photos from said trip?