Monday, October 29, 2007

Fuzzy

I mentioned my dog in a previous post and it’s a subject that’s been on my mind for a while. I’ve finally persuaded TOH that we (or I…) need, actually REALLY NEED, a dog. It’s taken a while for me to convince him that it’s a great idea but since achieving this small victory many people have said things that have made even me waiver in my certainty that it’s what I really want.

Questions posed…

“You have a lot of holidays. What’s going to happen then?”
This is true. We also have a whole battalion of people waiting in the wings who are desperate to be dog-sitters. Phew! Next…

“You both work. Is it fair on the dog to be alone all day?”
TOH is currently working from home so the dog would usually have someone around to begin with. We’d also be having doggy-daycare pop in twice a day to take him for walks and to ensure he’s happy.

“Is this dog a child substitute?”
!!! This is the question that throws me every time someone asks it. Because I’m a gay man in a relationship with another gay man, people seem to assume that we want our lives to resemble a straight married couples’ lifestyle as closely as possible.

I’ve had to stop and think about the question though. Would the dog be a pseudo-child?

No. It would be a furry pet that I can take for walks and do fun stuff with but it would be just that - a pet. It wouldn’t be treated like a person, it wouldn’t be allowed to sleep on my bed, it wouldn’t be allowed to dictate what goes on in my house. I can sense the shaking of heads and rolling of eyes as people tut and say “just you wait”. My previous dog was brilliant. He was friendly, amiable and always up for tummy rubs but he didn’t think he was a person because he was never treated like one. I reckon he thought we were all dogs (I’m always keen on a biscuit and a backscratch myself!)

All I know is that I really enjoyed having a dog and I miss it. It’ll mean a change in our lives, true, and it will be a responsibility but it will NOT be a child and therefore not treated like one. It will have to wait until next year anyway as we’ve got too much on until then. Who knows? Circumstances may not allow it by then and I do feel a bit nause at the idea of scooping up poo…

Now, I have to decide what kind… just needs to be fuzzy and up for scratch behind his ears at any time of day.

14 comments:

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Well I kind of like a cookie and tummy rub myself! I love dogs but it would not be fair for me to have one at the moment so I baby my parents and see it almost every weekend. It goes nuts for me because I'm the guy that plays the most. I agree though, I like a dog to "be" a dog and not a sub-kid!

Steven.

Monty said...

oooh, I'm up for a cookie and tummy rub too! But yes, dogs must remain as a pet!

Matt said...

You may know that I'm a huge dog-lover, so my opinion might be biased ...

Muzbot said...

*pant pant* woof woof... And I don't dribble - much.

Darth Gateau said...

thank you gents - pleased to hear that the global gays agree with me.

Muzbot, what are you doing for the next 10 - 15 years? Wanna be our doggie? A cold wet nose in the morning with a sunny disposition? As many bones as you can chew?

Tales of the City said...

A cocker Spaniel.. crazy but adorable and just love walks. I'll help.. especially if you are moving closer to me.

Darth Gateau said...

Here's my top 5 in no particular order...

Beagle - cute but absolutely bananas
Labrador - faithful, traditional but oh soooo fluffy
Border terrier - cute, scruffy, mischievious
Whippet - graceful, loving and loyal plus everyone else seems to hate them - someone's gotta love them back
Dachshund - comedy value, obviously. And I want one just so I can call it Herman.


Thoughts?

Scott in Iowa said...

I vote for the Dachshund. I had one once and he was the sweetest thing ever. I also had a Doberman that was just as sweet and loyal to boot. Of course, you can never go wrong with a yellow lab but I hear the black ones are stubborn.

Guy In London said...

Lab (chocolate brown) gets my vote; 2nd choice would be the greyhound/whippet - I've heard they're very affectionate (and don't bark if that appeals to you?).

Put me down on the rota for Mon-Fri doggie evening care - I may curl up on your bed when you & TOH not there but I'll make sure the dog doesn't!

I so want another dog right now - I'm missing mine so much I printed some photos of him and stuck them up in the kitchen :-(

Trevor Messersmith said...

Oh I'm a bit jealous...I'm dying to get a dog, but my building won't allow them.

As for what kind...I have friends that have dachshunds and whippets - both are adorable in different ways. Whippets are actually much, much sweeter than they look.

joe*to*hell said...

i have a dachshund - do NOT do it. ok maybe its mine in particular, and not the whole breed. they are sweet - they just last forevvvvvver

i also have a PUG and i suggest it for everyone. pure comedy. the snorts, the farts, the belches, the waddles, the funny faces.....and all the men will check u out when u walk it.

COME ON - PUG!!!!

Darth Gateau said...

looks like Labs and whippets are nosing ahead. (yay!)
GIL. You're on the Darth Doggie-care list. I shall be requesting references from your previous pets. I have a pet clairvoyant at hand for those that have passed beyond the veil...

t$. If you visit the UK my pooch will be available for walking and guy cruising - in which he will obviously be trained to scamper over to, and sniff, hot gents.

joe*to*hell said...

The gay cruising factor must never be ignored. Some dogs scream "im a family pet, so you cant have me" while others say "i like em cute and social"

V impt stuff Garth

Monty said...

DG...no worries about Paris, can understand. It actually gave us more time to shop which was good, and we ended up sitting in a cafe in Le Marais downing a couple of bottles of wine and watching the eye candy parade past, so it was actually a rather pleasant evening really! :-) It has been fantastic to meet you (and the guys) - can't wait to reciprocate when you and TOH come to Sydney!!!