Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bon bons…. Can you shake yours?

In my last post I mentioned how certain music can lift my mood, Muzbot recently posted about his music collection and whilst faffing around with my iPod on the way to work this morning, trying to decide exactly what kind of mood I was in before I could choose appropriate music, I realised that it’s time I told you all something...

Back to this morning...

I really couldn’t settle on what to listen to so I just let fortune decide for me and put the whole thing on random. After a couple of songs I realised that this morning, absolutely nothing else would do but a playlist that I love yet don’t listen to very often. I’m not sure why I don’t listen to it that much and every time I do, I tell myself I should listen to it frequently and add more tunes to it.

Not sure if this should be a secret but now we’re all friends I’m feeling confident. I’m unashamed.

My name is Darth and I love Latino music. The cheesier the better. I suppose it’s my musical guilty pleasure.

I’m always on the lookout for new stuff so any recommendations will be gratefully received.

In the summer TOH and I were driving to a party in the north – about 5 hours drive – and we gave a couple from Buenos Aires a ride. We’d never met them before but they were good friends of the birthday girl and had flown to the UK especially for the occasion. I was a little anxious about the journey at first as we didn’t know them, it’s a long drive and I don’t speak any Spanish (apart from ‘Ola’ and ‘ tres cervezas por favor’). The trip turned out to be brilliant as they were so entertaining and lovely. Paola is an ex-model who eats like a horse yet remains glamorously toned - TOH and I watched slack-jawed as she demolished a Burger King mountain before dashing off to get donuts for the rest of the journey, just to keep hunger pangs at bay you understand. Esteban is a flirtatious, cheekily friendly little chap who won over this uber model by jumping into her car at traffic lights during Buenos Aires rush hour to ask her for a date.

After the preliminary introductions and clarification of links to our mutual friend, the conversation tailed off into silence as we all gazed out of the windows to watch the countryside zip by and to will the time to pass. As a desperate ploy to engage in something that we could talk about I volunteered my enjoyment of latino music as a starter for ten. Before we knew it, we were arriving at our destination, I had a huge list of artists to look up on iTunes and we’d made some new friends who proved to be hilarious company later in the evening at the party.

Just goes to show that music can unite us all. Right, I need to find a bucket to vom into after my last, seriously groany comment.

Cue brassy trumpets, maracas and rapid plonky piano….

11 comments:

Matt said...

I LOVE Latino music. The more authentic the better. I have a few playlists of it ... you must share!! :)

Scott in Iowa said...

"faffing"? I have no idea what that means.
Please explain. As soon as I know what that means, I can continue reading the rest of the post...then I will comment. :-)

Darth Gateau said...

Sorry! I forget that non-Brits won't always understand.
"faffing" is a kind of unfocused, unproductive dithering.
Other ways to use it could be...

"Nah, can't be bothered with that - it's too much of a faff"

or

"I'll do it later, can't be faffed at the mo"

It's slang so please feel free to employ it however you please.

I'm relived now that I changed my post, as I was oringinally going to have it read that I was "fannying" about - which indicates that it's a more irritating affair! I fear tha would have caused merry mayhem out in the colonies (including ex-ones!)

Scott in Iowa said...

Thanks Darth. I laid awake all night wondering what that could possibly mean. I even consulted my Magic 8 Ball...not much help.

Ahh, yes, the spicy Latin beat. Who could control their body from jumping up and dancing to the rhythm? Although, not highly recommended while driving. ..could be dangerous.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

I think it is good to have a wide range of interest in different types of music.

Finally you have posted! I have been beside myself with wanting to comment on the new picture. Oh soooo much better than the cat cartoon! Man, Darth you are one handsome dude! ; )

Steven.

Muzbot said...

I have this image in my head now of you in an open frilled shirt and sombrero doing a Peter Allen impression singing "When my Baby Goes To Rio"...
I know, it's sooooooo very wrong.

Darth Gateau said...

er... it is soooo very wrong indeed Muzbot. However, if you'd like me to then, just for you... Actually, no. It won't be possible. Haven't got the faintest idea where I could lay my hands on a sombrero.

Thanks Steven, you're too kind. The camera can be v deceiving - I had splendid lighting, a blurred lens and a gifted photographer - all teamed with some stunt teeth and ears. I can't take credit!

Trevor Messersmith said...

muzbot's comment made me giggle intensely...

so, who are your favorite latin
artists? You might have to post a list of tracks and/or an "ultimate best" playlist here.

of course, peter allen better be in there somewhere.

Darth Gateau said...

I may put together my top five list for your delectation.
I'm wondering now tho, should I pop out and get a frill fronted shirt to be worn open to my navel?

Matt said...

Darth - leave out the frills. But open to your navel? My vote is yes. And e-mail me the pictures. ;)

Scott in Iowa said...

Matt,
Then you can forward them to me!