Thursday, April 12, 2007

Eating for England




I really went for it! I showed Spain what a stomach on legs can really do. I made an enormous dent in the San Sebastian pintxo output. Sadly my trousers suffered the complete opposite - no dents but every space was filled to capacity. So much so, that on Tuesday back at work, my trouseres split and the fly started to fall out. Honestly! I was crimson with shame. However, I think it's more to do with poor needlework than massive overindulgence in this case, as they were brand new and the other pair I bought on the same day are holding out quite nicely.

Back to my trip to Northern Spain. The train was hilarious. It was kinda like camping but on the move. A group of fully grown men in one compartment might sound like the recipe for a wild old time but it was more like a scene from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" rather than "Some Like It Hot"! Six men attempting to step around each other in a small compartment of a rapidly moving train in stripey pyjamas. It was a good job we'd had plenty of wine before each journey, as we just fell about like rag dolls sustaining absolutely no injuries at all. It was a hoot tho.

The gay bar (note - no 's' at the end of the word bar) was fun too but, as per the official Spanish Nightlife Rulebook, no-one turned up until midnight. I was pie-eyed by then but still managed to roll into the hotel at about 5am each morning. The other half had performed his usual task and 'child-proofed' the room for me each night (bless) before my dramatic entrance and graceful swallow-dive onto the bed. My friend David and I seemed to be the naughty boys of the weekend (no change there) as everyone showed admirable restraint on the alcohol front, apart from us. I was still up red-eyed and scruffy-tailed each morning tho, to embark on yet more pintxo adventures.

Pintxos really are amazing. There are literally heaps of them on each and every bar and you just help yourself, telling the bar staff how many you've had when the time comes to move on. Of course I was hopeless at this, as David and I were shovelling fistfulls of the things into our permanently open maws. I'm putting in some photos of pintxos to give you a little local flavour.
Please note also the pic of me - dreadful it is too, but I said I'd do it in my last post. I wasn't too smashed when it was taken but all in of the others I have a somewhat vacant gaze... I'm on the left and naughty David is on the right.

Oh. And could someone pleeeeease explain to me how I get pics where I want them, rather than bunched up at the top of a post? Ta.

11 comments:

Monty said...

You are CUTE!!! Hubba hubba! I had this image in my mind of someone akin to, hmmm, Jonathon Coleman in size due to the nature of your blog! Instead, I find a HOT guy! Damn! You've got yourself a B/F too! Well, you could always go the Gay Banker path, and have Boyfriend 1 - your current, and Boyfriend 2 - your Aussie one! ;-) he he he!

Scott in Iowa said...

Sounds like a fabulous vacation! Nice to finally see a pictures of you, Darth!

Muzbot said...

I see I join other blogger in a big sigh after looking at your pic. Very spunky.
I'm heading to Spain next month, so I'm looking forward to the food now and may ask you for some travel hints and tips...

As for getting pictures where you want them, just upload them like you usually do, choose "none" as the layout. Then after they've uploaded select "Compose" mode not "Edit HTML" and you can drag them into the position that is most suitable in your post.

Tales of the City said...

Yes well hello.. seems you were the dish of the day. Sounds like a fun trip. Would you recommend San Sebastian? Gay friendly?

Scott in Iowa said...

Muzbot, THANKS!!
I've trying to figure out how to do that too! I'm saving your directions to use in the future.
See Darth...your blog is terribly worthwhile and good for many uses!

Darth Gateau said...

hello all. Imagine my extreme blushes this morning on checking my blog. You're all being terribly kind to a drunken old soak.

Thanks for the info Muzbot - it was driving me mad! I'm a big fan of Spain so if you need any tips of great places to visit and fab places to stay let me know.

cutectguy - San Sebastian is lovely. Quite refined and elegant. For the gays it's pretty friendly really - not that many gay bars, just one or two but there are a few mixed places which were very welcoming. It's a relatively small town tho (you can cycle from one end of the town to the other in about 20 mins!). Great for a weekend - tho' I'd fly to Biarritz or Bilbao if I were going again - the train from bothe airports is about 30 mins, cabs seemed thin on the ground.

Monty said...

Muz, sensational...it's been bugging the pants off me too - my photo's always look crap on my blog! Now to try to make it work! ;-)

Bella Della said...

OOOH Mr B your fan club is increasing, now they have seen your dashing good looks...!
I feel educated about Pinxtos now, the photo makes them look yummy, except for the shrimps !
How is Colin ? As always your blogs are most entertaining, I have not checked in on yours for awhile, so I feel updated after having a good read thru them this sunday afternoon , whilst munching on a bowl of ben and jerry's cherries garcia frozen yoghurt....
Talk soon Mrs K x

Monty said...

Mr B??? Is this the first clue to your secret identity DG??? ;-)

Darth Gateau said...

aha! DG is the name I go by whilst wearing undies over tights and stalking the darkest of night in search of cake-crime and overpowering the henchmen of bad food...
Mr B is my daytime name when I'm mild mannered and have my hair with a curl...

Monty said...

Ha ha! Well, at least we both know what each other looks like, even if we don't know our real names! ;-)

DG, I've been very blonde and accidentally deleted your comment you left on my blog! I'm so sorry...feel free to leave it again - it was very flattering! *blush*