Friday, April 27, 2007

Donuts


Right. Crucial, Friday type of debate.

Ring or jam?

Now you need to think carefully. Opinion here at work is divided. My own thoughts are, why bother with a ring of plain, glazed dough? There’s nothing exciting about them - from the moment you start into one until you reach your fingers on the other side. They’re yawn central.

Jam filled however… cheeky surprise inside. Also, there’s an element of danger involved – you have to eat carefully or you could be scraping sticky donut innards from the front of your shirt and from your chin.

Krispy Kreme is a current favourite as their donuts are soft and squishy. Most other brands are too bready.

Leading on from this one step further, is the dilemma - jam or custard? I’m a bit torn there really, as I love a bit of custard. I also love a bit of jam. In a donut, in biscuits, on toast.

It’s the weekend. I’m off out for tapas this evening and then off to a birthday party in Holland Park tomorrow.

I suspect I may have a hangover story to tell come Monday…

9 comments:

Monty said...

OK Darth, when talking KK, firstly, have you tried the plain glazed ones AFTER whacking them in the microwave for 7 (yes exactly 7) seconds??? OMG, they just melt in your mouth! Going on from there, I find the jam ones the best! For all the same reasons you gave! Oh, and the cream filled ones, though sickly sweet and leaving you feeling like throwing up afterward, are wonderful as you consume them! I am so with Homer J Simpson on this one..."donuts...mmmmmmm" *drool*.

MadeInScotland said...

Custard always, of course. God. I used to work in BHS restaurant as a Saturday kid. Cold Sweets was my station-for years and years I was that bloke. I loved the frozen donuts, oven warmed and opened with ripe dripping jelly, wherein I would pipe 3 stars of cream. Or not.

I made the strawberry flan and lemon merangue. I cut the choc gateaux and the cheescake. If you wanted pastries, I was your man...

ahoj

oh, and my point was, we never did custard, but I love it, always. And I only take desert if it's creme brulee

Smokingloon said...

Definitely a Krispy Kreme plain ring warmed up. My problem comes when I have to decide if I should just eat a single donut or devour the whole box in a single sitting.

Scott in Iowa said...

Custard filled and chocolate icing on top. MMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Tales of the City said...

Krispy Kremes rock... I like the ones glazed in sugar with a funny pattern.. failing that JAM!

Muzbot said...

I'm totally with Scott on this one... Custard filled choc iced. But, when it comes to KK, I just can't go past the Strawberry Cream filled donut. 2 of these beauties and a vanilla milkshake and I'm in heaven.

Guy In London said...

Got to be jam for me. Monty - thanks for the microwave plain glazed KK tip - must try that.

GIL

Guy In London said...

Forgot to add a corny joke as a PS to my comment .... it's a Jonny Cradock quote "May all your doughnuts turn out like Fanny's".

Well, it made me laugh the first time I heard it.

Darth Gateau said...

You've no idea what effect that comment has on me!
Many (many) years ago whilst camping in Yosemite National Park, my friend Jane and I spent literally hours peeing our pants laughing at that line whilst v drunk. Even now I'm having to stifle a giggle!
I think it's partly to do with the word 'fanny' - dunno why, just makes me laugh.