Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cupcakes


I’m having a bit of a thing for cupcakes at the moment. I’m even considering making my own. Lord only knows what has brought this on.

New York was super. The weather was fantastic. Clear blue skies all day and not too cold at all. The sales were in full swing by the time we awoke on our first day so; of course, we went for a huge brunch before braving the stores.

Armani Exchange has a buff DJ playing seriously cool tunes so at one point I was right in the mood to sink a few vodka & tonics and have a bit of a dance, but realised it was early afternoon and I was in the queue for the changing rooms. Still, my purchases were many and splendid. Abercrombie & Fitch do the loud music thing too but their music wasn’t as good, the store is quite dark and the people who work there are busier admiring how good they look in the A&F clothes that are always sold out, than they are in helping anyone in-store. I had a laborious (and fruitless) conversation with a vapid, glacial minion who spoke “like, er, kinda dumb?!” I wasn’t entirely sure we were communicating in the same language and the look she gave me for being obviously and comfortably over the age of 17 said it all. She did, however, have time and energy to wave me vaguely in the direction of the back of the store to point out that I may find what I was looking for elsewhere (anywhere but near her). I fought my way thru the pack of gawking groupies waiting to have their photo taken with a muscle-bound hunk wearing only jeans and an open coat - poor bloke must have been pretty chilly! Then again the air around the frosty madam in men swear wasn’t that toasty either.

One ray of sunshine in the A&F store was that a friendly and seemingly ever perky lady told me I wouldn’t need to buy a medium T shirt as it would be “way too big” and “what was I thinking?!” I nearly hugged her.

We had dinner with our New York friends on a couple of nights, once in Harlem, a new experience for me, and another night uptown. The other evenings in New York were spent out on the razz sampling restaurants and bars. It was a hoot. I was interviewed for a gay TV channel by a drag queen that liked my aftershave, and spookily to continue the drag theme, I had Sunday brunch at a drag show restaurant in Greenwich. It was very entertaining. I’m amazed how some men can squeeze into a glittering garment without firing sequins off with every tightly clad movement.
The other half is absolutely terrified of drag queens, much in the same way that some people find clowns a bit sinister but was way, way, WAY too hung over to leave the hotel anyway. I, on the hand have no such problems, so having a fake bosom in my face whilst having my drink poured didn’t upset me at all. It caused much hilarity and photo snapping from my NYC chums tho.

P.S. The picture is most definitely NOT me!

3 comments:

Bella Della said...

OOh the drag queen in your picture
reminds me of Ricki Lake.I am most jealous of your maximum shopping exposure whilst in NY, I guess I will have to go next year at the same time to sample the mega bargains. Where did you go in Harlem to eat ? Did you sample cheesecake and Junior's just off Time Square?

Anonymous said...

Dude great blog. With some intresting stuff on in. Rock on mate.

Darth Gateau said...

why thanks. Please feel free to drop by any time! Help yourself to snacks and in-blog magazine...