Thursday, August 24, 2006

Warm Plum Tart


Warm plums….. hmmmm…

I’m a fan of a sticky tart too. In fact any bit of pastry is usually welcome.

Now then. Enough of all that. I have details of an event, the likes of which has ne’ery been seen before (well maybe, but it was pretty spectacular). Last weekend I attended the matrimonials of Todd & Fergal at Bovey Castle in Devon. What a shindig!

The whole thing was planned with immaculate precision, gliding along at a fair ol’ pace with bags of style, tons of fun and bucket loads of booze.
Being the paragon of virtue that I am, I only allowed a whisper of alcohol to touch my lips. Actually, none of it touched my lips - it bypassed all of my mouth and hit my throat at a gallop. Or it went down my front. As someone who is totally unable to say no to ‘another’, I should have suffered rather badly with dreadful hangovers but after the initial night’s revels I arose without a headache or nausea. I also arose without a toenail, my camera or my shirt. The camera I had left in the hotel bar, the shirt at the pool after an early morning dip with other drunken merry-makers and my toenail was embedded in the bottom of the bathroom door where I had, under the influence of course, trapped it.

Pain began soon after waking and shame shortly followed. Fortunately being in the pool in such a state meant that I had consumed rather more water than usual which held off any ill feeling. However, the fact that I made my way back to my room at 5am in wet boxer shorts brought on whole different feelings of agony… Fortunately the other half had organised the room for my arrival by removing any furniture from my route between bed and bathroom.

Further agony followed when later that day I had to don my lovely new Patrick Cox shoes for the wedding ceremony. I went thru the whole thing with a dignified limp, able to meet the eyes of only my five fellow fun seekers. A few glasses of champagne later and my limp was improving marvellously and the party spirit and returned. I even managed a dance or two.

Notable food over the weekend was a fantastic barbeque with amazing burgers and sausages. An amazing mountain of cupcakes (wish I’d taken a photo but my camera was strangely missing…) drew my attention shortly after demolishing a pile of yummy salads and grilled meat!
The wedding feast was sooooo good too. Fabulous wine accompanied the food, all selected by Todd & Fergal. Wow! You boys have such great taste.

I haven’t been to a wedding like that before and certainly not one that I’ve enjoyed so much.

No comments: