Friday, May 02, 2008

Achin’ for Bacon

In a random sidetrack ramble away from cake, I feel the need to discuss how I’ve neglected to mention a very important part of my life. Cake, we all know, is a joy to behold and should be indulged at every available opportunity. However, I’ve never discussed my extreme passion for bacon.

Why is it so good?

I’ve been spurred into this post by my Friday breakfast. After polishing off my bacon muffin with brown sauce, I sat in a blissed out trance for a few minutes until my pork-product high wore off. Colleagues commented on my glassy-eyed coma, finding it highly entertaining. Sometimes, like on hangover days, only bacon will do. It has some kind of magical properties and there’s nothing better than sitting back, fully satiated on bacon, your chin shining with grease, to slurp on a cup of strong tea and let the over-exertions of the night before ebb away.

TOH likes his bacon really crispy. When it’s cooked TOH-style it shatters into a billion piggy crumbs when you bite into it. I prefer mine to be lightly cooked, so it’s still super meaty.

I think I must have some kind of pork problem. I also love party food, which often contains porcine ingredients – sausage rolls for example. Pork pies are highly desirable objects at a party for me and I can cram handfuls of mini sausages into my face at every visit to the buffet.

I wish I liked healthy stuff. Things would be so much easier if I were addicted to cress.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a whole cookbook devoted to bacon.

yum yum yum

Monty said...

I'm sooo with you on the bacon thing - love it!!! Though, I'm probably somewhere in the middle of you and TOH as far as the degree of cooking required. Like it crispy, but still with some juicy bits! It's the ultimate hangover cure!!! I think it's the fat content that makes it soooooo delicious!!!

Matt said...

Mmmmm ... bacon. I always cook the bacon first, not too well done, then cook the next part in the bacon grease (eggs? cheeseburger?)

I'm soooo health-conscious.

T said...

Bacon is the best ever ... with Worcestershire sauce :)

Double high cholesterol :(

Mr Jones said...

Cress..bacon, cress, bacon.. tough one that! A little bit of whats bad is good for the soul. when are you coming to Spin class with me?

houstonmacbro said...

Mmmmm ... I love bacon, but at doctor's advice do not partake any more.

:-(

(sad face)

Joe Jubinville said...

I always have two pounds in the fridge. Oscar Mayer came out with their 'natural' brand that is cured with sea salt. No nitrates/nitrates. No fear bacon!

Monty said...

Mr, what you need to post about is...........
CUPCAKES!!!!!! :-)

Trevor Messersmith said...

You've been tag tag tagged:

The Book Meme

Play along...or ignore at your leisure...