Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sushi


OK. I’m not really a meme person – not because I don’t like them, but because I just don’t seem to get sent them very often. This one concerns a subject close to my heart – books.


1. Pick up the nearest book.

2. Open to page 123.

3. Locate the fifth sentence.

4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...

5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.


“In the afternoon of the day before I was scheduled to leave Switzerland, Karl came sneaking around, knowing that my father would be at the factory. He pressed his lips against mine in a long kiss, right there in my room with my teddy bears and dolls.
“I’m sad I won’t be able to see you any more, Yuriko. Won’t you stay? For me?” Karl’s eyes were burning – and also calm. There could be little doubt that my departure and my mother’s death freed him from any regret or guilt he may have felt.”

This is from Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino. It’s set in Japan and involves lots of death and subversion amongst Tokyo prostitutes. As you can probably imagine it’s a cheery and sunny novel… I’m only part way through it at the moment – it’s fairly grisly. Do I like it? Not sure yet. I'll let you all know.

Thanks to BuffaloVoid for this and I’m tagging the following:


1 comment:

Trevor Messersmith said...

Word. Thanks for playing, sir!