Sunday, February 17, 2008

Small Buffet

I promised I'd blog this weekend so here it is...

It's going to be fairly random as I don't have that much to include really.

On Friday I went to a "Traffic Light Party" hosted by the blogger formerly known as CuteCTguy. It was a hoot! Everyone had to wear something red, yellow or green to reflect their relationship status and take along a single person. I had a whole disaster to begin with as all my single friends were busy on Valentines dates that evening and TOH was unwell so I went alone, dressed accordingly (black with red accents if you're interested). Apparently there were some successful matches of those in green or yellow so the evening was a success!

Yesterday I had a serious cake fever about me so I set to and threw together some Portugese custard tarts. They were barely out of the oven before TOH, declaring his ill health (shocking case of 'man-flu') as full and vaid reason to permit him to demolish as many of them as humanly possible. There was some light wrestling and tussling as I cast him from the kitchen until they'd cooled. I went out last night with some friends, leaving him home alone, now there are only 3 left but it's looking like they may not last the day...

Last weekend we were in Brighton. It's the first time this year we've been and it was good to get some sea air. The weather was gloriously spring-like so I took a few snaps of my street. The first one from our doorstep...



This one as I walked down our street to meet TOH for a coffee (he'd gone ahead as I was faffing about).



The walk back home was chilly but the amazing sunset behind the ruined pier was spectacular - sadly the pic doesn't really do it justice, I shall blame this on my phone camera, obviously.


9 comments:

Scott in Iowa said...

May I, sir, try one of your custard tarts?

Darth Gateau said...

but of course - I'll put it in the post tomorrow for you!

Muzbot said...

Are they ever going to demolish the burnt out pier?

MMMMmmmm tarts look tasty. :)

Monty said...

That sunset pic is AWESOME!

PS Lucky TOH - getting to eat your cooking!!!

Darth Gateau said...

The pier is a melancholy sight but has become part of the scenery now. The council won't pay to demolish it and the residents won't accept any proposed plans. Apparently there have been plans approved for a 'vertical pier' to be built, designed by the London Eye team. Who knows?!
TOH has scoffed far too many custard tarts and is now completely ambivalent towards them. So fickle...

Muzbot said...

So, are the tarts easy to bake? I fear cooking any food that involves rolling out pastry... Although, I have found a tall Absolute Vodka bottle makes a great rolling pin when needed.

Darth Gateau said...

Hysterical!!!
Great minds obviously think alike! I use a huge bottle of Absolut too!
The tarts are super easy to make as there is minimum rolling involved - buy the ready rolled stuff, roll it into a long tube and cut it into chunks - you then employ your drinks cabinet to flatten each chunk into round bits.
Easy.
Honest.

Trevor Messersmith said...

your pictures of brighton are lovely. I'm aching for a trip!

RAZen said...

Hi Garth
Is there any possibility of emailing you offblog? I'm considering applying for work in the UAE and relocating but choose to be anonymous for now. But I might have a question or two. Thanks. If you want you can email me at peaced78561 at mypacks dot net.
Cheers