Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ice...

...cold. Brrr...

It's turned cold, grey and miserable here in London. This is a pic from my front door this afternoon at 3.30pm today. Bone-chilling drizzle has settled in for the next few months, hailstones hammering on the window woke me up last night. It's already so hard to remember what it feels like to be too hot, too hot to sleep, too hot to move around quickly, too hot to cope with London Underground. Why is that? In summer it's so tough to remember what it feels like to have cold feet or ears so cold that they hurt. Hmmm...
Already I'm missing blue skies and light evenings. It's dark, properly dark, here by 4.30pm now. I can understand how people may suffer from SAD. I'm lucky that I can escape from the gloom and speed off to brighter, sunnier climes. Only a few weeks to go now before I touch down on the opposite side of the planet to soak up some summer heat. If it rains in Sydney, I may actually cry. Still, at least it's pretty there and they sell beer - that'll cheer me up no end.

I've just spent a lovely weekend in the country and by the sea. One night at our friends' house in Kent - an impressive building which looks like a doll's house from the outside. They're both gentlemen of lavender persuasion so it's a bit 'Hello Dolly' (or should I say doily) on the inside too. If you're reading this boys - you know we love you both! It was a great evening with a splendid dinner and I enjoyed playing with Mungo, their pug, immensely. Apparently, Mungo pug helped himself to far too many Murray Mints in the afternoon and our friend had to spend some time sponging down the interior of his car before his other half finds out... Naughty pug.

We then zoomed off through the deluge to Brighton to be wind-burned, chapped and sea-soaked for a couple of days.
I'm a bit smug with myself at having conquered most of my Christmas shopping, with now only a couple of presents to get. I treated myself to a few choice items too, as did The Other Half, but we both admitted that we got a bit carried away as the shop assistant, a super hottie from Italy, was extremely positive whilst we tried on clothes. I'd have bought a bin bag to wear if he said I looked good in it.

I'm now home sheltering from the rain and wondering what it feels like to have toasty warm hands. Perhaps I should actually get off my big ol' behind and pop the heating on.

Send me warmth and sunshine someone...

9 comments:

Scott in Iowa said...

Sorry Darth, it just turned miserably rainy and cold here as well. Snow is in our forecast within the next few days.
It does sound like you had a great weekend.

Muzbot said...

Summer sun all the way down here... But you know that, and you know that we'll all be wishing you were here sharing it with us too. :)

Anonymous said...

Cold, miserable and wet here, too.

At least you've got a nice look out your front door.

Canberrabiker said...

Sydney in summer - hot and sticky, with thumping big thunderstorms or southerly wind changes every now and then to cool things down. But here in Canberra it gets hotter than Sydney, but it's a dry heat and with nice cool evenings most nights.

But those flies !!! Arrrggggh get them off me...

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Well we have snow here, so want some? I think there are prisons for people who have their Christmas shopping almost done, that way the rest of us don't have to hear about and feel bad for slacking off!

Steven

Monty said...

I am sooooo happy that I returned home to Oz when I did...it was just starting to get that nasty winter feel when I left London. And it's been FABULOUS weather up until today, where it's a bit drizzly, still warm mind you, just a little overcast. But I'm sending you lots of HOT HOT HOT vibes and can't wait to see you in about a month's time! Wheeeeeeeeee!!! :-)

PS Have you seen Muzbot's latest PICTURE??? Check out his blog!!!

joe*to*hell said...

i love cold and wet. o joke. wish i was there :(

its too warm in NY. freaking earth is gonna explode

T said...

yes sitting & reading by the pool yesterday it got so hot I had to move to under the umbrella ~!!

T said...

but it is pouring now in Sydney and predicted so for the next 5 days!!