Monday, February 26, 2007

So SO proud


Before I start on a huge rambling explanation of my recent exploits I’ll give you a rapid, Bridget Jones style round up of cakey goings on over the last few days.

Espresso Crème Brule – so amazing – dessert with a buzz!
Cauliflower cheese pie from EAT containing (of all things) boiled egg – cheeky surprise and I can’t deny it I’m hooked!
Afternoon tea selection of cream cakes.
A vast array of assorted biccies – M&S chocolate cornflake cakes, Jaffa cakes, Digestives, fig rolls – ooh – too many to mention.
Argentinean style cheesecake – who knew!?!

Why I’m not just a lard-filled barrel on legs I don’t know but whilst I can get away with it, I’m packing it all in!

Now. To other business, normal sponge/pastry related issues will return as soon as possible but other stuff has been occurring that needs mentioning.

My parents came to stay over the weekend. It’s the first time that I’ve seen them since the momentous revealing of my being a big ol’ gay. It was also the first time for them to meet the other half.
I wasn’t especially nervous or anxious about it all, as I’d spoken to Mum and Dad on the phone a fair bit since telling them. I was unsure how things would work out tho and I’d kind of resigned myself to just accepting whatever happened next. I’d told them the truth and felt a whole lot better about having done so and I just thought that whatever their reaction was, I’d deal with it.
I can honestly say that I think my parents are quite possibly the coolest, kindest people on the planet – in my view at least. They met the other half more or less straight away (we live together so kind of difficult to avoid that really) and were so calm and together about it. Inside they may have been in total chaos but they never even let a hint of that show.
Over the weekend some barriers were gently lowered and my Mum even said to the other half over dinner (with a lot of wine) “welcome to the family”. An easy throwaway comment in many circumstances but for me, such a huge thing to say and delivered so casually and genuinely. Mum and Dad may still feel a little uncomfortable about things but they never voiced it. I think it’ll still be some time before the issue becomes invisible to them and they don’t give it a second thought but, for now, it feels like we’re well on the way. I realise I’m so, so lucky to have my Mum and Dad.

We went for some fab dinners over the weekend and the parents loved The Lion King, which has changed a little since I saw it a couple of years ago. It’s still great fun tho and must be mind-blowing for kids.

I need a long lie down now after the weekend. I feel suddenly a LOT older and seriously weary – Lord only knows how poor Mum and Dad must be feeling.
p.s. has anyone seen the pics of Harry Potter loooking all grown up and buff?! I feel a bit pervy but OMG!!!!!

8 comments:

Tom said...

It doesn’t surprise me a bit. Parents love their children. I’m glad you had a wonderful weekend.

Scott in Iowa said...

I'm happy for you Darth! It never seems like you can feel fully accepted until your own parents feel comfortable with who you really are.
It was a full year before my parents would come around and accept my partner at the time. That was the longest year of my life. Congrats!

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

That is great news. My mother was very accepting when I came out (at 16), in fact, she likes it a little bit too much. For her hen night 2 years back she went to a gay bar. And didn't invite me. I was not pleased. She also introduces me as follows:

'This is my gay son'

Congrats- it must be a weight off your mind, and it is always nice when your parenst get on with the other half!

TM x

Guy In London said...

Darth, you write really well ... and more importantly ... you like Fig Rolls (my favourite biscuit and greatly underrated).

Really good to hear your parents are cool about.

I've found myself looking at young Master Potter on the posters on The Tube - not quite sure what that says about me either.

GIL

Tales of the City said...

Gosh.. brought tears to my eyes. You are a lucky man. Your parents Rock!
(ps. mine suck.. and no not it that way either)

Bella Della said...

OOOh you are certainly make great strides on your path to 50 ! Glad the weekend was a success for you.

How much do I love one of your blog buddies names - 'tequilla mockingbird' - how cool..!
Do you realise in 3 months our blogs will be 2 years old ! Has the time flown or what!, it seems only 5 minutes ago that I was trying to persuade you into the blog zone !
Ciao
Mrs K

MadeInScotland said...

even after 12/13 of being out to my parents my mother still has issues coping. I'd been living with mon C for over a year before they knew about him. Why? Well, she never asks. Of course it's all fine and civil when with him, but since meeting him earlier this month she has stll not once asked how he is. Well, their loss-so much they can't share in my life!

Darth Gateau said...

I truly do feel lucky. Thanks for all of your comments - it's great to have so much support!