Monday, February 12, 2007

Lil’ Star



A bit of a move away from my usual themes of cake/food but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song! It’s strange as I’m not a fan of Kelis really, but this is so different to the stuff she normally does.

Usually I hate it when a song gets stuck in my head and goes around and around, but this one I’m more than happy to have playing on a loop at the back of mind. For the time being at least.

Thinking of such things… Here is my top-ten list of songs that stick in your mind and drive you mad. Be warned, read this list at your peril – you may have the continual torture of irritating noise in your head all day. My colleagues and I compete to see who can find the worst and fastest acting of these earworms.

1. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
I know, I know. You’re probably thinking it’s a harmless, charming little ditty but take my word for it – it’s powerful stuff.

2. I Love Your Smile by Shanice
Again, sounds inoffensive enough, but give a few runs through in your head and see what happens.

3. In the Middle of the Night by Billy Joel
Danger danger danger!!

4. Ride on Time by Black Box
“Gotta gettup, gotta gettup, gotta gettup…… waaaaahaaa….”

5. Downtown by Petula Clarke
It’s where all the lights are bright – apparently

6. Shiela’s Wheels TV ad tune
Oh! The horror!

7. Saturday Night by Whigfield
It’s so darned rubbish!

8. Rehab by Amy Winehouse
This is such a cool song but played so much on the radio that now it’s been hardwired into my brain.

9. Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini
If you don’t recognise the title you’ll definitely have heard the music – it’s a real killer of an earworm.

10. Two Times by Ann Lee
Total Aaaaarrggghhhh!! Doo doo doo-doo doo-doo....

Right. Got that off my chest. Anyone know of any cures for earworms? That way I’ll be able to endure my colleagues’ best (or should I say worst) efforts and triumph, smiling serenely.

I think I need a quick lie down. I’m a bit scared to read through this before posting, as I may be tempted (subconsciously, of course) to sing, hum or tap out some of the hideous punishments above….

6 comments:

Tales of the City said...

When "hung up" came out.. that was hardwired. But Know what you mean by Black box.. what about Yazz and "the only way is up".. and I used to think that was such an innocent song.

Darth Gateau said...

oh no!!! you've just added a whole new hideous dimension. I'd never considered Yazz. I'm also kind of upset that I know exactly who she is and how the song goes.
Do you think people with Alzheimers are free of earworms...?

Scott in Iowa said...

Haha! "earworms". I've never heard them called that. I love it!

Muzbot said...

Britney's "Toxic". Someone at my local pub used to play it on the Juke Box all the time and it was just one of those songs that, to this day, continues to be the pain in my brain.

Great blog DG.

Tom said...

It always seems the song you don't like sticks in your head. If I new of a cure, I would surely bottle it and make a million dollars!

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

I could never get the Bodyform advert song out of my head.

I still can't, and am convinmced had it been released, it could have been a number 1 single.

TM :-)