Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Nuts!


Aren’t nuts weird?! I don’t really consider them to be actually food at all. They just seem to be things that are added to other stuff.
When I was young I hated nuts and would avoid at all costs but, as with many other things, I’ve started to appreciate them as I’ve got older. I am munching on cashews right now and they’re going down tremendously well! I’m also deeply passionate about macadamia nuts and chocolate covered Brazil nuts. Hazelnuts are also worthy of a mention.

Maybe it’s because it’s Christmas time and everyone goes nuts for nuts at this time of year. I can’t be faffed shelling the things tho.
I even cooked with nuts over the weekend. I created a fabulous (even if I do say so myself) Moroccan chicken tagine. It had a ton of fruit and a rattling stack of almonds in it. At first, the ingredients looked more like a dessert than anything else. I was tempted to just put the kettle on, have soup and eat the tagine ingredients with ice cream instead. Common sense prevailed however and 1 hour later a spectacular culinary triumph was born. I’ve had Nigella on the phone for days since, begging for some advice but I’m letting the answer-phone pick up.

The Christmas countdown is now on. I’ve got most of my presents, just 2 more to buy on Thursday. Then I have only the wrapping to go but I quite enjoy that as it makes me feel quite festive.

The weather has turned quite chilly here – finally. It’s been so strange lately, not too cold at all. There are still some trees with leaves on – it’s December for goodness sake! I’m quite pleased the weather has taken a colder turn. It feels more like winter time at last and that Christmas and a new year are on their way.

Note to self…. Must buy a winter coat. And more nuts. Ooh. Maybe mince pies….

No comments: