Thursday, February 05, 2009

over-indulgence

Yikes.

I did it again. But not in a Britney way. Actually, no. That's not entirely true. I gave it some serious Britney, but without the kids and the total minger of an ex-husband. I'm even bald, although that's not a conscious or favourable decision.

This evening I've been out on the razz. Nothing new there. However, this is Abu Dhabi and therefore anything more exciting than the shipping forecast is breaking news, so my evening is worthy of a post.

Granted, I'm slightly frayed by a trying week so I was vulnerable to rose wine, amaretto and then beer. But. This does not explain why I ended up in a nightclub full of sweaty old ex-pats and Filipino trannies and hookers. No-one was more surprised than me! Then again, no-one adpated as quickly as I did plus the band were quite fun. After a few belters of soft-rock I was more than happy to sway on the spot and chuckle at the shenanigans going on around me - desperate blokes trying to persuade hookers with enough cash to say "no thanks" is an interesting thing to observe. Back to that in a min. Let's discuss the band...

A drummer (I'd love to be a drummer), a man wrenching noise from a guitar, a frustrated Iron Maiden wannabe lead singer and five (yes five) unbelievably ropey scrubbers standing about in muffin top trousers and gauzy tops, thrashing nasty hair extensions around with little attention or care for the music. The crowd were enthralled. I was convinced that the booze was spiked. It had to be. Everyone seemed to think the band were good enough to fill Wembley stadium - my beer bottle seemed to be permanently empty. The applause was deafening, the tsunami of love for the band was unfathomable.

It was weird. The band was totally pants. Yet... I kinda liked it. No-one cared. It was one of the ugliest crowds that's possible outside a maximum security psychiatry unit. But still, no-one cared. Everyone was getting on with having a good time/counting how much cash they had left to 'enjoy' the lady with the false leg/attempting to find a beat to dance to.

I literally reek of fags and booze. My life here has made me shift gear. I used to love bars and clubs that had an element of cool. I liked being part of something that was cutting edge, new and ever changing. I guess I still do. Here? Pfft! That kind of lifestyle is 10-15 years away in this city - longer now that the global economic downturn has halted all development. But I've decided to get my fun where I can find it. It's hidden away, it's hard to find but I'm using my best sleuthing techniques to dig it out. I haven't even begun to explain the scene for 'gentlemen' in Dubai... that's a whole other post.

TOH was a hit with the ladies (nothing new there). I'm sure he could have had any number of freebies had he been inclined. I live life in Ugly Betty Corner so even the whores breezed past without a glance (note to self, must try to appear wealthy). It was fun. I enjoyed myself. It's not the kind of evening out I'd choose often, but once in a while it felt good to let loose in a place where no-one cares what you do unless you're paying them to.

5 comments:

Monty said...

IS there an actual scene for 'gentlemen' in Dubai???? Is it safe?????

Darth Gateau said...

Yes there is

Not sure but nothing 'amorous' happens in public so it's probably ok. It's not illegal here, but having 'gentlemanly fun' together is... but you have to be caught in the act.

Bella Della said...

Hey Mr B
Have just nipped back into blog world, and am glad to see that the Mr B wit and creative writing is still very much present !
Sorry to hear that work is pants-o-rama, but clearly your resiliant spirit is getting you through .

Thought of you at work the other day - I had a cup of tea in your old cadburys flake mug - (why did you not pack it and take it to the middle east !!!) anyway hope you have a good weekend hun
Adele
x

Muzbot said...

I had actually imagined that corner of the globe to be all glittery and shiny and full of very cool new clubs etc. Maybe I'm very wrong about that. I should try and fit in a visit sometime to discover it for myself.
Actually, by the time I get there you'll surely have discovered a few more seedy dives to share with me.

Darth Gateau said...

Adele... work is now getting better. It's so different but I'm getting used to it.

Muzbot. Dubai is glittery and shiny, Abu Dhabi is mainly concretey and scaffoldy. If it's seedy dives you want, I'll find them in time for your visit!