Saturday, August 23, 2008

The cupboards are bare...


...and so is my house.

Everything is packed up. There are boxes everywhere. My fabulous holiday to Ibiza is now a week old memory and my tan is fading the same way, I still have a tan line to peek at now and again to remind me though.

In 3 days we'll be closing our front door in London for the last time and heading to the airport, never to return to this house. I'm not normally a sentimental person but I've found myself doing odd things this last week. Yesterday whilst drinking a glass of water at the sink I stood watching the trees outside and the wind buffeting the leaves about and then how the resulting shadows played around our kitchen. I'm going to miss trees and the varieties of green that I see all of the time here in the UK - it rains a lot so green is definitely a UK colour. There are only palm trees where I'm going and the colours that dominate are sandy brown, sky blue and the retina-sizzling turquoise of the ocean - not a huge palette but a totally different one to what I'm used to, so I'm looking forward to it.

I've had my last Friday night out here in London.

I've said "au revoir" to most of my friends and yesterday, to my parents which was much sadder than I expected it would be.

I've been in my last tube delay (hopefully) and had to recalculate the resulting circuitous route through the London underground network to get home.

I've thrown most of my coats and jumpers away but I've dithered and still remain undecided about my compact umbrella.

I've been massively stressed that I'll forget to do something important.

I'm ready. I want to go. I'd like to go now. I still have to wait 3 more days. I don't like camels which could be a bit of an issue...

7 comments:

Peter said...

I'm sure you make a big impact on the people you're going to work for.

See it as a new start in a new place.

The thing you'll miss most... English rain!

MadeInScotland said...

ahoj DG

I had wondered where you had gone. Long time no cake.

ahoj

Scott in Iowa said...

The feeling of leaving one place is always uncertain and a bit scary. I'm facing sort of the same right now. We're boxing up everything and leaving our home of three years in one week. We're only moving across town, so not really such a culture shock like you're facing. Good luck with the new job! Be sure and take us all with you when you go!

Monty said...

Big hug! Moving house is hard enough, moving countries would be HUGE!!! All the best for the move DG; at least you have TOH with you every step of the way. Just make sure you don't have sex on the beach when you get there...it can get tricky with the policepeople! ;-)

Fall In Line.... said...

You wont have to worry about Camels, they are only far out in the desert!

Interesting blog! All the best for the big move.

G

Robert Cox said...

Ohmygod! Emergency...! I have just found your blog after I was directed to it...
Someone recommended I apply for a job at VAA and I have. I have been thinking about it a lot and I want the job badly.
I wanted to ask you a few questions... (please don't publish this!)
Do you av an e-mail address I could write to you on please??

Bobster x

amnotblog AT gmail.com - hope to hear from you.

Robert Cox said...

oh shit - it did publish! haha - well can we all ignore the comment please... x x x x