Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Toast with Marmite

I love it. I like my marmite (vegemite to those down-under, but saltier) thick like tar.
I’ve just demolished a couple of slices and I’m hankering for more.

It’s been a wee while since I last posted and momentous things have happened. I’ll post about those soon, once I manage to organise my life around said ‘things’. It’s all good stuff though, so I’m rather perky about life at the moment.

Other reasons to be perky.

1. The sun has arrived in London and I’ve worn sunglasses on my way to work for two days running. No biggie to many of you but us Brits have to take our sunshine joy where/when we find it.

2. I was at a birthday party yesterday and met some of the Sydney gay rugby team that are playing in Dublin at the weekend. They were delicious. I’m keen to meet some of the Kings Cross Steelers now (the London team competing in Dublin).

3. I’m off to Rome at the weekend to do some sightseeing, shopping, drinking, eating and generally gawping at Italian people being fabulously Italian.

Last weekend we had some Swedish friends come to stay which was brilliant fun. They are completely honest, open and forthright with their thoughts and opinions. This differs hilariously from the British approach and had me in stitches for much of the time. A conversation about them being in a sauna with naked parents had me crimson with laughter and utter, toe-curling embarrassment as I tried to imagine such things happening in the UK. Looking at London through their ABBA-tinted spectacles was quite refreshing. They were surprised and delighted by so many things here that I now take for granted. It made me feel slightly more proud of the huge, bustling metropolis in which I live.

Right. Need to crack on – much to do.

7 comments:

Scott in Iowa said...

SALTIER than vegemite??? An aunt from New Zealand brought some vegemite when she came to visit when I was just 14 or 15 years old. I thought the stuff was god-awful and saltier than anything I'd ever tasted!

As for the recent giddiness...wouldn't have anything to do with meeting the Sydney gay rugby team now, would it? ;-)

Muzbot said...

Ahhhh Rome. Such fond memories.
I'm craving European food again and Rome is close to top of my food destinations. The best green olives I've ever had were in Rome. Mind you the beer I was having with them was mighty good too.

Victor said...

Yes, the thought of being in the sauna with my naked parents puts me off too. I assume they weren't in a gay sauna!

Monty said...

Wahooooo...was despairing that you'd given up blogging! Can't wait for your next post about your life changing event...!!! Dying to find out...US maybe??? Asia??? Do tell!

As for the Sydney Convicts...yes, there are some not half bad sorts there!!! No wonder you are feeling perky! Hopefully, TOH is taking advantage of your perkiness! he he he!

Rome, sigh...I love that place! I'm deeply jealous that Muz is getting to see you and I'm not!!!

:-)

Matt said...

"Italian people being fabulously Italian". What a great line! I'm afraid a similar quote about Americans would be a huge insult!

I work with a woman from Norway - obviously no "ABBA-tinted spectacles" (another great line) but it's fun to hear her speak so candidly.

Matt said...

And Scott - I almost made a soooooo-distasteful comment on your comment. But I'm nice that way.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Marmite! Oh no! No! No! No! A friend of mine from England "tricked" me into trying some of that salted roof-tar, never again! ;P