Thursday, June 26, 2008

Here today... Scone tomorrow

Ok. Tomorrow is my last day with my current employer. After 11 years of unbelievable fun, I'm leaving the world of Virgin Atlantic Airways for a new adventure in a new country, a new job and a new company.

Before I move on with a load of old jibberish, as per usual, I would like to explain what kind of time it's been for me here at Virgin. Think of all the good things you may have heard about Virgin. Times it by ten. Add stuff you probably wouldn't have thought of and then add fabulous travel and glamour. I've never worked in another place where everyone, literally everyone, is chic and trendy - even the company nerds in IT and finance are cutting edge cool. Tomorrow is going to be a really bad day. I'm going to hate it. I'd really like to sneak out and not have to say goodbye to everyone. It may seem mean but I don't think I'm up to it. I reckon I'll be a huge mess.

I have my start date and from 31st August my blog should change to "How Great is Sheikh?".

My new employer is very new, not just to me but to the world. Nearly 5 years old and growing fast, it's finding it's feet in a scary world. My job is going to be a huge challenge but I'll be required to travel extensively (how can I not love that?!) so look out blogging world as I may be appearing, in person, in a city near you.

13 comments:

Peter said...

Have a great day tomorrow, it's an end to an era and a big step to a new future.

In the mean time I hope you don't stop blogging till August 31.

Darth Gateau said...

my blog will continue, as always - even after 31st August, when it may take on a more eastern flavour (probably date?)
Nice to know someone enjoys it!

Muzbot said...

Oh come on now, you know we all enjoy reading your blog...

Enjoy your last day, get smashed and enjoy your time off. I'll see you very soon for a beer or 6.

Monty said...

It's not Etihad is it??? Your new employer that is?

Well DG, Enjoy your last day! And I agree with Muz, just get smashed and cry your eyes out! And then revel in the 2 months of non-work!!!

And we look forward to greeting you on our shores when you come a-visiting! :-)

Darth Gateau said...

Thanks gents. Happy you all like to drop in now and again.

Muzbot - looking forward to many beers!

Monty - Well done. It is. Why?

Monty said...

Just using my marvellous powers of deduction! LOL Well, you're now finished work! Wahooooo! Enjoy the relaxation and say Hi to Muz for me!

Guy In London said...

DG, Best of luck, hope to catch up before you go ... shucks, got a lump in my throat.

GIL

x

Monty said...

GIL - you're alive!!!!!! How's things going??? :-)

Mr Jones said...

You are leaving me.. before we even got it together.. sigh.

Trevor Messersmith said...

wow - congrats on the new gig...and whole new life!

does "how great is sheikh?" mean you're off to Dubai?

houstonmacbro said...

Best wishes in your new endeavors.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

A little late of me but good luck with the new job!

Jayne said...

It really is a great airline & I honestly think you'll enjoy working for it. Knocks the sox off of Emirates!!