Saturday, June 30, 2007

Boiled eggs

Sigh. I'm truly contented, for the moment at least. It's Saturday morning and I've just had boiled eggs and toastie soldiers for breakfast. It's my fave. It's also super-duper comfort food. More of that in a bit.
As a kid, although fairly feisty and a little 'spirited', I was a bit of a girl in some ways (big surprise!) and I hated toast soldiers being called 'soldiers' for some reason. Everyone had to adjust and, in my presence, rename them as toast rabbits. What a pain in the arse!

Anyhoo. It's been a bit of a frustrating fortnight really. Despite doing lots of lovely things I've hit a tricky patch health-wise which is unusual for me as I'm normally never ill. I've got some kind of skin allergy, previously diagnosed by my doctor as a food allergy but now he's changed his mind. Grrr. I can't keep up. It's just like getting a skin peel - red and itchy with swollen eyes and then my face peels off in a matter of days. Grim.

I've spent the week in Manchester on business, and it's been such a busy, hectic week with long hours. One good point was I got to spend an evening with my brother & sister in-law as they live pretty close to Manchester. We went out for dinner and drank beer and they laughed at my face..... whilst in Manchester, I had to visit a health clinic as one side of my face swelled up to Elephant man proportions. Apparently, possibly as a result of my skin reactions of the last couple of weeks, I now have a skin infection. I literally have no jaw line on one side of my face. It's too depressing. I'm taking about a gajillion tablets a day now for a whole variety of possible and, as yet, undefined ailments that I'm starting to rattle when I move fast.
To add icing on the cake I seem to have picked up a hideous cough which makes me hack like an old smoker. I want to hide away from the world for a very long time.

What a misery-guts. I'll pull myself together in a wee while.

One brilliant ray of sunshine is that I'm going to Provence next Saturday to stay in a beautiful villa for a week. I'm taking a pile of books, my iPod and planning to do zero for 65% of the time. The other 35% I shall be eating.

I promised that I'd throw a few pics of our recent visit to Rome in my next post so I s'pose I should do that here and now. Lately, I'm having problems getting photos on to my blog - it's seriously giving me the hump!

Here goes....




I love this pic - it makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. My friend David in the bottom left looks like a muppet gatecrasher!



Yikes! Haven't got a clue what's going on with my shirt here - I'm the one in red, in case you're new here. It's all a bit Tom Jones isn't it?! I promise I'm not wearing leather trousers.



What lovely chaps! I'm so lucky to have them to accompany me about the globe!

15 comments:

Matt said...

There you go again, teasing us all with sexy pictures of yourself ...

For us Yanks, what are "toastie soldiers"?

Monty said...

Sorry to hear about your affliction...hope your trip to Provence in the sun helps!

BUT oh my goodness, the pictures! Sweet mercy!
Firstly, YOU ARE HOT HOT HOT! and bring on all the channelling of Tom Jones you want...that chest...sigh!
Secondly, your friends are HOT! Who's the one in the Pink Shirt (and black shirt in the last pic)? Very cute!!! VERY! Could he be TOH??? Sigh (again)

Hugs!

Darth Gateau said...

Matt. Toast soldiers are the little strips of toast you have to dip in a soft boiled egg when you're a kid.

Monty. I shall neither confirm or deny that the gent you ask about is TOH. However... Look as much as you can as TOH isn't too wild about having himself on the www (despite looking totally ravishing) and is considering a request to have the pics removed after a short-term display...

Monty said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Those pics are wayyyyy too delish to just delete! I'm sure you've got some persuasive powers that you can use to convince Mr Pink Shirt into allowing all to remain. YOU ARE ONE LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY BOY! (ps he is one LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY BOY too) *wink*

Tales of the City said...

Yes I am having the same problem.. my TOH refuses to be on the WWW...sigh. Nice photos.

Monty said...

Boys, always feel free to email pics to me... ;-)

Darth Gateau said...

Monty... you seem to be having a good enough time persuading Muzbot to strip down to his (rugby) ball and getting Doctors to remove their clothes in your 'entryway'. Take your own pics! (and then post them on your blog for us all to see!)

Guy In London said...

Hey DG,

They say everyone has a double - well you & (your alleged) TOH both look like friends of mine In The North. I haven't seen them for a while but next time I do ... I'll be thinking of you & TOH (probably in some pervy way!).

Well, thought I would share that with you. Enjoy Provence and hope you're feeling better.

GIL

Darth Gateau said...

GIL - thanks (I think!). I'm actually from the north and so is TOH - are you sure your friends aren't actually us?

What's happening with you lately? Are you gonna blog to give us an update?

Guy In London said...

DG, I mean the North of England, not North London. Now I thought you were East London working Gatwick but maybe I am very wrong?

Yes, yes, yes, I know an update is so overdue, so in summary here goes ... Therapist, Work (in London), Trauma (at home), Solicitor (translate to Lawyer for non-Europeans); Estate Agents (translate to Realtor), Parents, Kids and Family. Please do NOT interpret that as any particular order of importance!

I so need a vacation (translate to holiday for Europeans) but just can't think about when I'll take one ... so saving up my days and maybe heading for some winter sun to top up the tan (which is what I used to do when I worked for BA and was young(er), free(er) and single!

GIL

x

Darth Gateau said...

Hi GIL

I'm from the north of England (between Liverpool and Chester), TOH is from Scotland. All quite northern.
CuteCtguy is persuading me to meet up for bloggers drinks - as you're in London some of the time why not come along? It'd take your mind off your current headaches - to be replaced with a hangover!!!

:¬)

Guy In London said...

Hmm, UK Bloggers Drinks sounds good. I've hinted at an International Bloggers Convention when Monty is in London later this year, so maybe we should have a Londoners pre-meet?

I'm busy w/c 9 July but could meet w/c 16 July. Once I've figured out how to add an e-mail address to my Profile we'll get in touch.

GIL

x

Monty said...

May I add my comments and say I'm am soooo up for an International Bloggers Meet in October! It's funny how you get to know all this stuff about people you've never met! I'm hanging out to meet all you guys!!!
Monty! xxx

T said...

wow - how great is DG and TOH too

2 hot men :):)

samedi! said...

Bravo matey! I can't think of more appropriate pictures for a post entitled "boiled eggs" :-D