Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gasp!


I’ve just had a wee scan over my most recent blog entries and, though I hate to admit it, I need to face the harsh reality that they’re kinda dull.

Eek. Mammoth apologies to anyone who may stop by now and again, please don’t let the recent dip in standards affect your future enjoyment. Look out for new and improved content (that I will have copied from 2005) for your reading pleasure.
“Must try harder”. Funny, that’s not something that ever appeared on any of my school reports. Or in any post ‘sack-wrestling’ feedback…

What to discuss today then? Harking back to an earlier post about what to do with my life, I’ve been having a think about what to do and where to go. Usually these thoughts have been at the most inappropriate times and places and have been accompanied by a slack jaw, open mouth and vacant gaze, sometimes even dribble.

The ‘to do’ question has kinda been shelved as it’s too difficult, so my brain has swiftly glossed over any of these considerations and pounced joyously on the ‘where to’ issue. Travelling is a bit of a passion and it occurred to me that it’s some time since I donned a backpack and trooped off with vague thoughts of ‘finding’ myself spiritually and mentally, whilst lolling somewhere fronded by palms and lapped at gently by warm seas. Of course I never found anything but the best place to get riotously drunk with shady locals of dubious repute and the knowledge that if it’s still moving I probably shouldn’t eat it (usually whilst being encouraged to do so by aforementioned locals!)

…I’ve just been handed a sherbet lemon – wow! It’s been years!…

I enjoyed my 2 year backpacking adventure and then subsequent shorter sojourns and I do yearn for that kind of freedom again. Trouble is, they don’t pay the bills do they?!

Anyone know how I can do it for a living?

On my list of things to discover…

South America – any of it will do. Apart from the dangerous bits. Does that just leave Mexico? Would the Galapagos islands be ok?

New Zealand – wanna catch me a hobbit

The Northern Lights – not a destination as such, the Southern lights would do just as nicely

Japan – I LOVE Tokyo and I’d like to explore more of the country

Canada – apparently Calgary at Stampede time is choc-full of cowboys. Wanna throw on some chaps and get all Brokeback…

Scotland in a campervan – I’ve got a cardigan and a flask

Zanzibar – I like the word so it's bound to be good, right? It’s apparently beautiful

Italy, Spain, France – super close and super sunny (mostly). I’ve seen a fair bit but I’d like to stop and spend time, learn the language, eat cakes, drink beer, take up boules…

Other areas in brief – Asia, esp, SE Asia – Laos, Vietnam, Korea, revisit Thailand, Malaysia & Singapore. USA by large car with loud radio & trunk groaning with junkfood.

I’ll send you all a postcard. I wish…

10 comments:

Tales of the City said...

Homosexuality is banned in Zanzibar...

Darth Gateau said...

It's banned all over the flippin' world!! I'm skilled in the ways of the stealth homo...

Scott in Iowa said...

Well, when you get to the US let us know! Oh, and you can be as gay as you want here, we won't mind.

Monty said...

And come to Sydney at Mardi Gras time!!!! Undoubtedly you've already been to the land of Oz (you are English after all - it's a rite of passage nowadays) but there's much more to see! he he he!

Muzbot said...

I'm with Monty on that one... so much to see.. and do.
I've been living in Sydney for 7 years and I'm still discovering cool things about this little patch of heaven on earth.

Darth Gateau said...

I spent a too cool for words year in Sydney, living at Coogee Beach before it became backpacker central (everyone went to Bondi in those days - before it went all swanky!).
I even had a combi called Mitzi which carried me and friends from Perth to Darwin, Darwin to Brisbane and then on to Sydney. Never got to visit Melbourne or Adelaide tho. Maybe I should come back...

Scott in Iowa said...

"post sack-wrestling feedback"
Haha. Darth, you kill me!

Monty said...

DG - now you have me completely intrigued...how does the cinnamon thing work??? Does one feed one's man copious quantities? What IS the effect when one does??? You must be specific as I have NEVER heard of this before...!!!

houstonmacbro said...

One thing you must do is come to Houston and enjoy the blistering heat of our summer. That must be experienced by everyone. Better than a sauna.

Darth Gateau said...

Houston sounds splendid! But you do have plenty of BBQ there....