Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chocolate fingers, cheese on toast and comfort food


I’m feeling a bit flat lately. Not sure why. My normally perky disposition has been replaced with a ‘Groundhog Day’ kind of gloom. The other half is away for a week (in Cannes of all places!), my parents are a long way away and I’m feeling lonesome. I’m really rubbish on my own. Even TV is boring without someone to talk to about it.
I wish I had a dog. They’re such great comfort and always pleased to see you. It’s totally impractical for us to have one of course, but right now it would do just the trick. A fuzzy friend with an eager to please attitude would be perfect.

I’m having to turn to comfort food instead. I’ve reverted to my student days and I’m eating things I haven’t had in years – it’s fabulously retro . The other half wouldn’t dream of consuming the stuff I’m having right now so it’s a blessing he’s not here to see me devour it. I can’t even divulge the food crimes I’m committing as it’s too, too embarrassing. Some of it involves macaroni, tinned beans and packet cheese sauce but I’ll go no further as I want to keep some shreds of self-respect and dignity…

I think it’s my job that’s leading me to feel this way. As someone who recruits others for a living, you’d think I’d be able to sort myself out. Not so. The company I work for, to the outside world, is dynamic, fresh and exciting but after 10 years I’m over it now. I think it’s time I moved on…

What to? Obviously a food taster somewhere would be ideal. However, I’m getting on a bit (not too far on, you understand but on nonetheless!) so I really need to decide what it is that I want to be when I grow up. Sadly the grown up part is already here and I still haven’t made up my mind. Oh crap! Is this a mid-life crisis? When is mid-life? Where are all of the rules on this stuff kept? Are there some instructions somewhere? Wonder if there’s a website… I’ve got so much ‘life’ stuff sorted out lately that I think I’m on a roll and need to iron out all these wrinkles.

Maybe I should have a cup of tea and a digestive whilst I think it through. I’ll pat my imaginary, virtual dog (I’m calling him Colin) and mull it all over.

Answers on a comments post-card please to….

8 comments:

Tales of the City said...

...your "dirty" secrets are safe with us. I had a corned beef sandwich the other day. Super yummy just like mummy used to make..INDULGE and let you inner child come out to eat.

Guy In London said...

Colin? Now that's a gay name for a dog! Tell us more about your imaginary friend, pleeeaaase.

Monty said...

Why not get a couple more imaginary dogs and called them Trevor and Malcolm! ;-)

Go for it with your retro-food thing...I love doing that occasionally!

Tom said...

I’m sorry to admit I have had your macaroni, bean and cheese dish. I would like to know more about Colin too. What breed is this imaginary dog? Also, if you do find the instructions or website on what to do when you grow up; please pass it on to me. I have been in need of that info for a long time.

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

My gulity pleasure, which is absolutley vile and I am ashamed to admit it, is macaroni cheese with tomato ketchup. There, I've said it.

Feel free to vote me off the island

You have an imaginary dog called Colin? I have an imaginary boyfriend called Danny Dyer, the hot brit actor. I spend the best part of my days convincing myself that we are in a torrid love affair.

Please pass on the recipe for this macaroni dish. I may have to indulge in it myself when I get home to find Danny NOT sitting on the sofa waiting for me.

TM x

Darth Gateau said...

ok
ok
I'm loathe to do it but it may help to exorcise my demons...
It may also assist those of you in need of some serious comfort eating.
here goes with the macaroni recipe.
You will need:-

1 bag of macaroni
1 tin of baked beans
1 medium sized onion
as many mushrooms as you like
1 packet of instant cheese sauce mix
1 clove of garlic

Chop your onion, garlic and mushrooms and fry them in a little oil. Once the onions have softened, add the tin of baked beans and stir until everything is mixed and the beans are warmed through.
Cook the macaroni whilst keeping the beanie mix warm.
Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and keep warm.
Make the cheese sauce.
Put the cooked macaroni on a plate (I prefer a big bowl), scoop on the garlic beanie stuff, pour on cheese sauce, sit back and bask in the triumphant glow of culinary excellence. Devour without hesitation. Repeat when necessary.
Next week, join me for drunken munchies solutions involving fish-fingers, bread and Kraft cheese singles....

Muzbot said...

I tend to get the same feelings about my job in August each year. It seems to coincide with the end of winter and I get all contemplative. But I actually still enjoy what I do so I'm still there doing it.

My fave comfort food is savory French Toast with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Most people I know cringe at that thought.

Scott in Iowa said...

Darth, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down. However, there is a good side to having the other half away for a few days...I always take advantage of those times by eating things I love that he won't even think of having in the house when he's here...like sushi, stir fried squid, spinach, and sauerkraut! YUM!!

This explains your desperate comment to my blog about how it's been so long since my last post. You are seriously bored! hehehe!