Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Warm Chelsea Bun

Hello Blogworld! It's been a little while so apologies.

I've already discussed my feelings on Chelsea Buns so I won't dwell. However, I was just thinking if there is actually anything I really do like about them. I've realised there is. The cherry! It's wierd. I do kinda like plastic food - much to the horror of the other half and friends. Glace cherries for starters. They're grrrrreat. Basically sugar but with a bit of flavour, which I'm not even sure is actually cherry - more er....... pink?!

Other fake foods I really love are, in no particular order....

Cheese singles/Dairylee Triangles/Cheese Strings. I love processed cheese - the more plastic/rubbery the texture, the more I love it! I'm not a huge cheese fan - in fact really strong cheese tends to make my tongue itch and as for cheese with blue veins..... that REALLY gives me the willies!
I love tinned Baked Beans - the kind that already has Branston added - yum, and I love tinned beans and mini sausages too. Tinned meatballs are winners also.

Apologies to any culinary experts gliding thru. I realise that the small list above is enough to harden an artery at fifty paces but I don't overindulge too much.

There are some foods that appear to be a bit fakey by way of their texture/appearance and I'm a huge fan of them too. Squid is a prime example. Slightly resistant to chewing but tastey if you can get over the whole tentacle thing, a struggle at first I grant you but just be brave and throw a sucker-clad octopus leg between your chops and you may be pleasantly surprised. Mussels, also rubbery - yum and Scallops!!!!!!!! Yowsers - I LOVE scallops!

Seafood. Now that's a whole different blogathon to chat about... On the whole I'm basically against it unless the bones are on the outside.

2 comments:

Bella Della said...

Well I certainly will not participate fully in seafood blogathon with you , as you know I am allergic to alot of it.., but the only real value I could add on a sea food theme is my love of Fish fingers.. how simply delicious if you get a fishfinger sandwich on white bread with salad cream Yum Yum,

Just as I have my legal head on, and accuracy is everything .. real chelsea buns do not have a cherry! Cherries appear on varieties of Danish pastry.. but not on real Chelsea buns !

And my final word about Cherries, Maraschino cheries beat Glace Cherries hands down !!

Darth Gateau said...

Well well well!! You're suddenly a stickler for culinary accuracy! You might want to check your spelling of 'cheries' in your comment. As an acting legal eagle I'd say ATD counts for a lot. However, maybe my indecision about Chelsea Buns lies with the fact that they are so indistinguishable with certain varieties of Danish Pastry (but more bready!). Hmmm.... I still like the cherry tho.... Thanks for highligthing the cherry issue - I can now fully make up my mind about Chelsea Buns. You have been most helpful.