Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Talking Italian


On Friday I’m off to Rome! I can’t wait.

It’ll be warm, it’ll be sunny. The food will be great, the wine will flow.
I’m already a bit worn out with so much contented sighing and I haven’t even left London yet.

I’ve been to Rome so many times that it’ll feel as familiar as a pair of comfy shoes (stylish designer obviously, possibly Italian).
What to do whilst I’m there? Well there’s shopping, of course. I’ve seen most of the sights so I’m on the look out for unusual stuff that’s not mobbed by the gazillion tourists that will be clogging the place up. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I was about to add “clean ones only please” but then thought “what the hell!?”. Lay them all on me!

Perhaps I’ll just park up in a bar on a square and watch people. It’s my favourite thing to do anyway. I may as well just find the best spot and start gawping straight off.

There’s the Italian chaps to keep an eye on too…

This is my usual conundrum.
Italian boys are such a contradiction. They all look/act gay yet are so vehement about their passion and adoration for women. Mind you, it’s been said to me before that the difference between a gay Italian and a straight one is a bottle of Peroni. On a previous visit, the other half and I were propositioned by a supposedly straight guy who was quite open about the fact that, as we were tourists it was unlikely that we’d ever meet his girlfriend, therefore he was perfectly safe and not actually gay at all – because no-one would find out. Hmmm… Regardless of whether they are gay or straight though, they’re all unbelievably, excitingly and dangerously flirty. It’s baffling, maddening and fabulous all at the same time. Damn those naughty Italian guys.

I suppose I’d better talk about food (How Great is Cake? I’ve almost forgotten whilst thinking about gents of a Roman – or even roamin’ – persuasion). I intend to demolish a modest amount of Tiramisu, maybe a small hillock of pizza and a few shovel loads of risotto. I LOVE risotto. However, this provides another quandary. Carbs are the enemy of the gay. I still have a small way to go before being ready for summer and I don’t want to undo it all at the final hurdle. I’ll never be the snake-hipped twenty-something I used to be so I need to make sure that I stick to lots of fruit and veg. What the hell am I saying?! It’s never going to happen. Bugger. Bring on the lard.

Also I may meet up with a fellow blogger if we can co-ordinate schedules – that’ll be super-exciting!

Ciao all!

12 comments:

Monty said...

I am so jealous of the following:

1. You being in Rome
2. Eating all the delish Italian food
3. The delish Italian boys
4. Muz getting to meet you before I do!
I do hope you are able to co-ordinate your schedules and meet up! I want him to take lots of photos of you! ;-)
Have a great time! x

Muzbot said...

DG - I'm looking forward to finding out where to get the GREATEST risotto! I'm a huge risotto fan!
And... sharing a beer or two with you.

Tales of the City said...

Jealous.. I get to Rome after my nuptials.. sigh.. June. Long way away. Celli Montana (??) is a place a place where they place Jazz in Summer.. the boyf has been there. Palazzo Borghese and Barberini are cool old school art galleries.. not too mobbed. Then there is the whole of Trastavere.. which is cool for FOOD and bars..
So DG you are not going to stalk me? Hope you called the agency and got a temp on the case? AND how come you never want to meet me for a drink? Hmm ok I may not be an attractive biker but I am pretty damned cute...

Darth Gateau said...

Monty. I'll eat something fabulous on your behalf. Just let me know what you'd prefer.

Muzbot. Let's hope the beer is cold, the sun is warm and the chaps are hot.

cutectguy
I never said I didn't want to meet you for a drink - you never asked!
I've spoken to Stealth Stalkers and there'll be someone keeping an eye on you at all times whilst I'm gone. Obviously, they're a temp so they may be a little ropey but needs must...
I love Villa Borghese and the sculptures within. Trastavere is cool - very Soho-esque!

Tales of the City said...

A ropey stalker.. the mind boggles. Ok drinks when you get back then...

Monty said...

DG - I just love the pasta in Italy...maybe a Lamb Ragout with pasta (had it on Tuesday night at an Italian restaurant here and it was MAGNIFICENT!). Enjoy Muz's company, the beer and the men! x

Scott in Iowa said...

Tag, you're it!

You’ve been tagged for this meme:

Instructions:
1.Create a post on your blog explaining 5 reasons you blog.
2. Include a link back to the person who tagged you.
3. Then, tag 5 more people with these same instructions.

Have fun!

Dafydd 1971 said...

Hello DG. Sorry it's taken me a while to write back. Very jealous of your jaunts around Europe. One of the top things I miss about living back in the UK. Italy one of my favourite places for food. Have fun. Sod the fruit and veggies. When in Rome.....

Brechi said...

Wow, sounds really great, I have never been there. Have a nice big piece of tiramisu for me!

Tales of the City said...

Hey.. the replacement stalker was no good. Are you back to resume your activities? Time i bought you a drink for your efforts... next week?

Monty said...

Hey there Mr! We need an update...how was Roma? How was Muz? Are you alive? :-)

Scott in Iowa said...

Uummmmm....

POST!