Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Let's talk about crisps…


Although I never used to hate them, crisps were never high on my food agenda. At parties, gatherings or when particularly peckish I’d nibble on the odd few. I’d also usually head for salt & vinegar.

These last few weeks I’ve found myself drawn to crisps in a big way. Why? Why, oh why?

Walkers Roasted Red Onion & Balsamic Vinegar flavour are specific winners at the mo, as are Pringles Thai Lemon Grass flavour. I don’t understand how it’s happened but I’ve found myself cramming fists full of them into my mouth to the point of near suffocation. Despite the danger of choke hazard or the risks of laceration to the inner lining of my mouth from pointy crisp edge, I’ve been throwing caution to the wind and devouring them like a total crazy!

Is there any cure I ask myself. Is there a self-help group? A Potato Products Anonymous?

Not sure what has set these new savoury wheels in motion but it’s certainly got me thinking. Crisp cake…..
No. That’s just plain silly.

For those who may have dropped in from outside the UK – and there used to be but I think they had their fill of cake and have moved on to slimmer pastures – crisps are potato chips. Chips are entirely different here – chips in the UK are what folk in the US call fries – only they’re fatter (the chips, not the Americans, let’s not get in to THAT debate! Although I think there’s little difference between the UK and US on that score these days…)

Now that it’s becoming chilly and autumnal, I’m also becoming a bit obsessed with soup. I wonder… is this all because I’m getting older? I can’t possibly abandon my loyalty to cake/biscuits/sweet baked goods, it’d be too much of a wrench…

Please help

2 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

We don't have Lays here but I've sampled them on my many and various US/Australia trips. Stax... I shall remember and give them my full attention at the soonest opportunity.
I'm in New York in a few weeks - I shall investigate thoroughly!

Bella Della said...

Welcome back to blog world Mr B - We have missed you ! I can see you are still on form with your writing - as funny as ever.....
What is with all this crisp love ??? Have you crossed over to the salt side ? Make sure you visit Junior's, just off Time Square when you are in NY - because the cheesecake you will sample there, will ensure you cross back to the sweey side !